permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Live Together or Die Alone - Copyright vs Cooperation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Live Together or Die Alone - Copyright vs Cooperation
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:52:51 +1100

I wholeheartedly agree and wonder why the obsession with the PDM when
there's many other excellent pc publications less costly and far more
appropriate for beginners, farmers etc ( I frequently recommend Rosemary
Morrow's Earth Users Guide to Permaculture - its an excellent book and more
useful to most than the PDM and has been translated into several languages)
plus the excellent work by IDEP, PermaTil and other groups in in the 2/3rds
world who are developing locally relevant material with cultural adaption
and pitched to average literacy levels.
Some publishers such IT (Intermediate Technology) charge a premium price for
affluent countries to subsidise their books at a special local price or by
donation to NGOs in poor nations - that's seems to me a sensible way to go.
When we published the PIJ we encouraged sponsored subscriptions for pc
groups & teachers in the "Third World"
Robyn