permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Intellectual property

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gavinraders@gmail.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Intellectual property
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:58:25 +0000

Thank you Cristophe for a perspective from outside the bubble. Whatever
happened to redistributing the surplus? The farmer shouldn't share his
produce? What?! From everything I've heard from Mollison, I can't imagine
he'd be opposed to ppl in the so-called third world receiving his book for
free.
I hope we all realize that many people of color, and specifically people of
color who are agro-ecologists and others doing the real work of permaculture
on the ground without ever calling it that, view "permaculture" to be a
white-dominated elitist club that keeps the information that can bring whole
communities out of poverty and back to sovereignty away from those who can't
pay thousands of dollars for it. What, and who is this for anyway, the
private landowning class, the five percent (generous estimate) of the worlds
population that can afford a 1500 U.S. dollar course at a Hawaiian resort?
Here's to liberating permaculture from the white castle of privilege!

I am a white person of privilege who was fortunate to study and practice the
p word with some of the best teachers on a daily basis. I now dedicate my
life to making it affordable and accessible to low income urban residents,
mostly young students and people of color whom I grow food with where I live
in Oakland, CA. Permaculture means nothing unless it is put into practice!

Gavin