permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The intellectual property discussion on [Permaculture] listserve re: PC Designer's Manual

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The intellectual property discussion on [Permaculture] listserve re: PC Designer's Manual
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:47:08 -0800

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Dick Pierce
<dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>wrote:

> - borrow a copy - from the library (ask them to get it for you on
> inter-lib.
> loan)

This suggestion has been made a number of times, and it is an excellent one.
However, it does assume that we're talking about an Overdeveloped Nation
(aka "First World") situation. I'm frankly not as worried about the very
significant cost of the Designer's Manual for those of us living in wealthy
countries. Poverty is certainly a concern here as well, but I managed to
purchase a copy of the book and put myself through a (admittedly
bargain-basement, though very quality) PDC while working minimum wage temp
jobs, and if people are really interested, they can find a way to make it
happen. But what of the rest of the world, where monetary resources in
particular are few and far between? Putting the manual online is only a
partial solution there as well, since access to the internet is spotty and
out of the economic reach of most of the population.

I'm curious to hear from those of you working in permaculture outside of
North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Is there a significant
demand for the Manual or other permaculture works? How about a demand for
translated versions of these works? If such a demand exists, how can the
international permaculture community start meeting this demand?

Thanks,
Ben