permaculture - [permaculture] Scythes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Juergen Botz <jurgen@botz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Scythes
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:57:54 -0300

In Lawrence's list of lists there is one about Scythes,
although it has little traffice as yet.

I mow with a European scythe, and I find it an
absolutely awesome form of exercise. It builds strength
in all the muscles of the midsection (the "powerhouse")
in no time. Just a couple of hours of mowing per week
make you feel great, improve your posture, dramatically
lower the risk of back injury, and so on.

Mowing with a European scythe of course also puts you
in closer touch with grasslands, is better for the health
of the grass than any other method, and lets you mow
even in difficult or steep terrain.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

:j