permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hand tools. rocket stoves.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hand tools. rocket stoves.
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:46:49 -0400

kris kaul wrote:
I hope you'll include the hand hoe from Johnny's Seeds among the hand tools:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=292&subcategory=309&item=9187

I was introduced to this tool at Tantre Farm CSA; it apparently is modeled on
a Japanese tool (?). It can be used to slice roots just below the surface
for both weeding and harvesting, scoop out soil and bring up quackgrass
rhizomes, and make furrows for seeds. The only disadvantage I found was that
its ease of use tempted one to use it for heavier jobs than it was suited
for, resulting in breaking off the hoe blade in one instance.

That is a good tool. Korean, maybe also another version from Japan Here is
another, the Ho-Mi Korean hand plow:
http://www.luckywonders.com/HomiKoreanHandPlow.htm
http://www.gardenhardware.com/ho-mi-e1.html
The long-handled version:
http://www.allsun.com.au/Longhandlehoes.html

Two good ones in the collection shown at: http://hoecollection.blogspot.com/
Old Asian How - typically ergonomically near-perfect as are most Asian garden
tools (I will try to make a similar one)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mHBQJHNtqAU/SVb_ECElGvI/AAAAAAAAFZs/KDj74khoZmE/s1600-h/AsianHoe2.jpg
Plow Hoe from Poland
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7097/108/320/P1010009.jpg

I have a garden hand tools sourcelist (needing a revision) here that you
might find interesting:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
See especially the seeding rakes at Sneeboer Tools in Holland. If you find an American distributor for their line of garden tools let me know.

Have a look at Hida Tool's gardening tool collection:
http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html
See weeder, sickle, hoe, hatchet, trowel and knife - all typically Japanese