permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:14:46 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:20:25 -0400
From: Karl North <northsheep@JUNO.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Quality and quantity of food needed requires definition as a starting point
in any discussion of this subject. If the assumption is today's population
and current quality and quantity per capita, I doubt that is possible given
the energy descent we (the global population)are now facing. Available
energy is crucial to figuring carrying capacity.

Skipping that issue for now, I am currently writing a paper on the kinds
and nature of food production for a county relocalization project. The
project goal is to think and write about how to solve the problems of food,
shelter, transport, etc in a future that assumes a permanent,sharply lower
energy supply.

The first two parts of a 3 part paper in progress are available here:
http://tclocal.org/2009/07/visioning_county_food_producti.html
http://tclocal.org/2009/09/visioning_county_food_2.html
Comments and criticism will be appreciated.

Papers so far on other aspects of relocalization in Tompkins County, New
York are here:
http://tclocal.org/

One that discusses the question of carrying capacity is here:
http://tclocal.org/2009/06/can_new_york_state_feed_itself.html

Cheers,

Karl North
Northland Sheep Dairy, Freetown, New York USA
www.geocities.com/northsheep/
"Pueblo que canta no morira" - Cuban saying
"They only call it class warfare when we fight back" - Anon.

  • Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Future role of urban, local, and regional food systems, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 09/18/2009