permaculture - [permaculture] Podcast/Homescale Permaculture: How to Create a Backyard Ecosytem/ Toby Hemenway,

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe@silcom.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Podcast/Homescale Permaculture: How to Create a Backyard Ecosytem/ Toby Hemenway,
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:34:27 -0700

http://www.pdcastsusworldradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=510757

<http://www.pdcastsusworldradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=510757>Homescale Permaculture: How to Create a Backyard Ecosytem
Toby Hemenway, www.patternliteracy.com author of the best selling book Gaia's Garden, tells us how to create beautiful and functional ecosystems in our own backyards. Hemenway, a Permaculture teacher, writer, and lecturer, talks about basic Permaculture principles, guilds, and how to build soil fertiility. Interview on Sustainable World Radio with host Jill Cloutier

Friday , 9-10am, Sustainable World Radio
KCSB 91.9 FM PST.
also streaming live on www.kcsb.org, interviews posted later on www.sustainableworldradio.com

TOBY'S HEMENWAY BOOK
Gaia Garden: Homescale Permaculture: How to Create a Backyard Ecosytem 2nd Edition
revised and expanded second edition
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/gaias_garden_second_edition:paperback
Book Data
ISBN: 9781603580298
Year Added to Catalog: 2008
Book Format: Paperback
Book Art: Color photos & illustrations
Dimensions: 8 x 10
Number of Pages: 320
Book Publisher: Chelsea Green Publishing
Release Date: April 29, 2009
Web Product ID: 442

"The world didn't come with an operating manual, so it's a good thing that some wise people have from time to time written them. Gaia's Garden is one of the more important, a book that will be absolutely necessary in the world ahead."
-Bill McKibben, author of Deep Economy and Hope, Human and Wild

In these hard economic times, home gardening is a rapidly growing phenomenon. The first edition of Gaia's Garden was the first major North American book on home scale permaculture. In this extensively revised and expanded second edition, Toby Hemingway - a writer, teacher and expert on permaculture - broadens the reach and depth of the permaculture approach for the urban and suburban growers.

Hemingway shows that it is fun and easy to create a "backyard ecosystem" by creating communities of plants that can work cooperatively and provide a variety of functions, including:

Building and maintaining soil fertility and structure
Catching and conserving water in the landscape
Providing habitat for beneficial insects, birds, and animals
Growing an edible "forest" that yields seasonal fruits, nuts, and other foods
One of the highlights of this new edition is a chapter on urban permaculture, designed for people living in urban and suburban areas who have very limited growing space. In using basic permaculture principles you create a more diverse, productive, natural, and beautiful garden that requires less work to maintain.

Gaia's Garden, A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, is a must-read for anyone wanting to work with nature and transform their garden into a beautiful and abundant habitat.
Please let us know if you would like a review copy of this important new edition, or would like to interview the author.
Hemmingway's current project is developing urban sustainability resources in Portland, Oregon, where he now lives. He teaches permaculture, consults and lectures on ecological design throughout the country. His writing has appeared in magazines such as Whole Earth Review, Natural Home, and Kitchen Gardener.

Toby Hemenway is the author of the first major North American book on
permaculture, Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture. He is a
Scholar in Residence at Pacific University and an adjunct professor at
Portland
State University. Toby teaches permaculture and consults and lectures on
ecological design throughout the country.