permaculture - Re: [permaculture] I've found the real world to be much

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] I've found the real world to be much
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:57:56 -0500

Hi Rain, (what a lovely name!)

Yes, I too still hold on to the ideals. I believe that humanity has lived sustainably in the past. I too have been called a pessemist, 'gloom and doomer', and a host of other names. It took me a while to realize the people saying that really had no clue as to what it takes to even approach sustainability. Collectively we have had it so easy for so many generations, people generally have no idea.
As I continue to deepen my relationship with the land, I reach more fundamental truths that would probably make me sound even more like a pessamist if I were to speak them. It is not an easy journey. For me though, there is not anything else worth living for. Within great destruction is the seeds of great healing.
Marjory

Rain Tenaqiya wrote:
"I've found the real world to be much more challenging than most people would
believe."
Yes, and I think our courses and writing should reflect this fact, instead of promoting instant pie in the sky. Living sustainably is not easy. I'm still waiting for the time I can be the reclining designer. A lot of people regard me as pessimistic, but my attempt to live a permaculture lifestyle has shown me how idealistic (and maybe naive) I still am. Rain