permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What happened to the third ethic?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What happened to the third ethic?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:35:08 -0400

Rain,

You seem to be saying there are two halves to creating a surplus. One Half of
the equation?is obtaining a sustainable yield - as large a yield as
reasonable using Permaculture design principles. The other half of the
equation is escaping from consumerism.? American consumerism is based on an
economic model that assumes resources are unlimited.? Developing an ethic
that finds?joy in limiting the consumption, and simplifing our lives involves
a radical re-orientation?of our values.? I would argue that spirituality in
our culture has been replaced by a worship of money and materialism.? My
wife's new book "Ecotherapy Healing with Nature In Mind" argues that the
dis-connection from nature in all its' aspects is part of what is so diseased
about American culture.? There is an excellent chapter in the book by Richard
Bruce Anderson on the topic of consumerism and its' negative effects on our
well being.? But we are dealing with a culture addicted to spending and
believing that there is no limit on the experiences or material possessions
we can buy.? Curing our collective materialistic, spending?addiction we be an
important part of the equation.? Reconnecting with the natural world is one
step?most middle and working?class people?have to take.? In part, because we
don't connect with where the yield comes from that we depend on, nor do we
have a spiritual connection with the planet and universe we live in.

You are quite correct that we (the culture as a whole) currently want simple
tricks so we can go on living as always.? We are like alcoholics who want to
find a way to keep drinking without it doing us any harm. We will jump at any
snake oil salesperson who pretends to offer us such a deal.? This will be a
powerful challenge to Permaculture in North America and the rest of the
industrially developed world.? Teaching people the principles of Permaculture
is easy, learning to design food forest and build strawbales houses is easy.
What is hard is helping consumer addicts to recognize their addiction and
free themselves from it.? Helping people to understand both the joy and
necessity of a sane lifestyle is the most difficult challenge we face.

Unfortunately, that didn't help you state the third principle succinctly, but
once you start thinking about it, there is a lot more behind it than meets
the eye.? You are definitely raising an important question.

Larry