permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Design Certification Course: July 17–Aug 2 at Heathcote Community, Maryland

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Living Mandala <livingmandala@livingmandala.com>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Certification Course: July 17–Aug 2 at Heathcote Community, Maryland
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 12:58:11 -0700

Permaculture Design Certification Course

July 17 – August 2, 2009

at Heathcote Community

Freeland, Maryland, U.S.

Visit the Course website for More information

Including:

PERMACULTURE ETHICS AND PRINCIPLES, MID ATLANTIC REGIONAL SYSTEMS, LAND ANALYSIS, WATER MANAGEMENT, NUTRIENT RECYCLING, FOREST GARDENING, GREEN BUILDING, RENEWABLE ENERGY SYSTEMS, COMMUNITY AND ECOVILLAGE DESIGN, LAND TRUST AND ALTERNATIVE ECONOMICS, PERSONAL SUSTAINABILITY, INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY LIVING

In Partnership With

Dancing Green, Heathcote Community, School of Living, Living Mandala

Facilitators, Teachers & Constants

Dawn Shiner, Karen Stupski, and Special Guests

Course Description

Dancing Green offers the whole Permaculture design course curriculum as an immersion in educational experiences of integration, collaboration, consensus, and self-empowerment within the context of Permaculture land-use design. The 17-day residential immersive allows you two levels of enhanced focus: (1) the routines of daily life are set aside, freeing & enhancing your attention, & (2) the process is predominately collaborative. Whether in micro- or macro-clusters, you will be living collaboratively and immersed in skill building as we consciously design the site at hand for the good of the whole.

Course Details

17-days of integrated design immersed in action-learning, assessing self and land: surveying, mapping, analyzing, designing, implementing, evaluating feedback and re-designing as needed. Designing ourselves into nature's patterns, we offer educational experiences of integration, collaboration, consensus, and self-empowerment within the context of Permaculture land-use design.

Dancing Green, in a forever-evolving process, developed the kinesthetic 17-day course to get beyond the limiting linear approaches precluding holistic education. Adding the hands-on components took our courses into integrated action-learning for greater empowerment as systems designers. We have since added a good measure of self- facilitation skills to increase collaborative harmony and run the immersion courses as collaborative consensus community. As an organism we individuate and collaborate. We integrate into place through kitchen and life's daily chores while we expand everyone's design parameters to revere the gifts of sun, water, earth and air.

Living intentional community for 17 days, all individuals cooperative as large and small design clusters. All chores are shared and meals are vegetarian. Days are structured with input, observation, brainstorming, research, mapping and designing. Guest presentations by experienced, local residents and field trips to working sites permeate the course offering integrated approaches to land, animals and structures. Those successfully completing the course collaboratively present their design work and design report to the client and interested public.

Course Topics Include:

Maps and mapping with seat-of-the-pants engineering skills - soils, slopes, watershed & hydrology assessment - mid atlantic regional systems - watershed awareness - Chesapeake Bay status and threats - assessing and restoring forests and watersheds - wetlands and streams - regional all-season food systems - annuals to forest gardens - investing in communication as social currency - communication tools & techniques as renewable energy - consensus facilitation - conflict resolution, non-violent communication and trust - nutrient management: body & soil - techniques & strategies for feeding the soil - nutrient- rich foods: harvesting, preparing, and eating - water & air: regeneration & resiliency - forests and reforestation - enhanced ground water absorption & air purification - rainwater harvesting, catchment & distribution - thermal patterns & keyline usage - designing with our allies: the trees, plants & fungi - edible forest gardens - suntraps and windbreaks - green building as growing living form - perennial and annual guilds - microbial pathways and multifunctional systems - personal sustainability: body & soul - guilds for community & ecovillage design - economics designed for the good of the whole - engendering regional exchanges of goods & services - barter systems, local currencies & worknet-exchanges - land trust and alternative economics for coherent eco-villages - healing modalities: reiki to deep tissue massage - art of colour & DNA re- patterning - wild plant identification walks - personal space and reflection - appropriate scale & energy needs - hand scythes, pedal power, & ram pumps - passive solar absorption & convection - bio-geo- thermal conditioning - biodiesel, ethanol, methane - animal communities & everyone's needs - chicken tractors, rotational grazing, wildlife forage patterning - IPM as intentional community living - pollination and insect habitat, pests & predators relationships - eco- social design of healthy human habitat - natural interface of shelter and immediate outside habitat - growing functional living form and future dwellings - interconnected systems for health & ease - building intentional neighborhoods and community

Site Details - Heathcote Community

Heathcote is an intentional community of 12 adults and 4 children living cooperatively on 110 wooded acres in northern Baltimore County, on land held in trust with the School of Living since 1965. We have several organic gardens, hiking trails, stream-side hammocks, and a new strawbale residence featuring many aspects of green design and natural building. We strive to live sustainably and share with others through education and service. www.heathcote.org

Tuition & Registration

Course Tuition is $1500 U.S. dollars, which includes instruction, lodging, and 3 delicious, nutritious, and locally grown meals a day for the duration of the course - 17 days. Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a Permaculture Design Certificate.

Register Now

Certification Applicability

Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a Permaculture Design Certificate. Design Certification is applicable towards Gaia University Degree Programs.

Contacts & More Information

Course information – Dawn Shiner: 540-745-5994 - dgdawnshiner@yahoo.com
Site Information and administration – Karen Stupski: 410-357-9523 -
karen@heathcote.org

Visit the Course website for More information & Registration

Job Opportunities: Cross Pollinators

Start supporting sustainable progress & regenerative educational initiatives! Help us to spread the word about this course and others and earn money!

We are looking for "Cross-Pollinators" or Affiliate Marketing Ambassadors to help spread the word about our affiliated courses, workshops, and events to strengthen our network and to further empower regenerative educational initiatives on the planet.

This job includes posting information about our upcoming courses, workshops, and events on-line on social networks, websites, blogs, etc; identifying and sending emails to listserves; and building relationships with resonant groups and organizations. Cross- Pollinators should be experienced with internet navigation and social networking, have proficient writing and communication skills, have their own computer and internet access, and be able to work from their home, office, or local coffee shop. Compensation is based on performance and results, and will be given based on referrals that come in from the scope of the outreach efforts made. Referral's range anywhere from $25 - $250 per course.

For details e-mail: affiliates@livingmandala.com

  • [permaculture] Permaculture Design Certification Course: July 17–Aug 2 at Heathcote Community, Maryland, Living Mandala, 06/21/2009