permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tending the Wild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tending the Wild
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:34:05 -0500

Hi Rain,

I just started 'Tending The wild" and am very excited about it. When you mention

The idea that you can creat a garden of Eden and then just wack and few
plants here and there while harvesting food ignores the dynamic and nonlinear
nature of Nature.

Are you referring to Bill Mollisons video on Global gardening? As much good as permaculutre puts forth, that video is so misleading, it is a shame it is shown.
Marjory

Rain Tenaqiya wrote:
I just finished Tending the Wild, by Kat Anderson, and feel it is an essential text for
permaculturists around the world, not just in California. The idea that you can creat
a garden of Eden and then just wack and few plants here and there while harvesting food
ignores the dynamic and nonlinear nature of Nature. Many plants respond to pruning and
burning by increasing their output, while many require it to stay free of pests and
diseases. I'm having to admit that many of the "rape and scrape" practices
of conventional farming have good justifications, though I still believe we can find
more sustainable and integrated ways of achieving the same goals.
As for Douglas-fir, was it in Cascadia after the ice age before the last ice age? It's probably been coming and going for hundreds of thousands of years, no?
Rain