permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [midwestpermaculture] looking for Oregon grape source....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bryce Ruddock" <bruddockjr@wi.rr.com>
  • To: <midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com>, <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [midwestpermaculture] looking for Oregon grape source....
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:16:17 -0500

Wow that's a challenging search. I have not found an Eastern US grown
source for any of the Mahonia species.
If the reason for using it is for the antibiotic effect then the berberine in
Oregon Grape roots is also found in Goldenseal [Hydrastis canadensis] and
Barberry [Berberis species].
Some of the phytochemical databases make mention of using leaves and stems
and what the medicinal compounds in them are.One link is
http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/
A source that I trust for herbs is Mountain Rose Herbs in Eugene, Oregon.
Their website is www.mountainroseherbs.com
They carry the Oregon Grape [Mahonia aquifolium]root in tincture, whole ,
and powdered forms and it is wildcrafted.
If you would like to grow your own then an excellent source is Horizon
Herbs,www.horizonherbs.com. They offer the M. aquifolium as seeds and give
good advice on propagation. By the way the Oregon Grape is hardy to US Zone 6
which should not be a problem for you down in central Illinois.
If you are really trying to not use a plant which has not been regionally
cultivated/wildcrafted then there a lot of species that native Americans east
of the Mississippi used that while they are not the same as western species
will still do the job.
Good Luck. Bryce Ruddock , South Milwaukee, Wisconsin