permaculture - [permaculture] Dogs in the Design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bryce Ruddock" <bruddockjr@wi.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Dogs in the Design
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:11:40 -0500

If the client is unwilling to confine the large dogs to a pen or indoors,
or to take them somewhere off site where they can run to their hearts content
at least once a day then the design will need to incorporate some year round
dog deterrents. The plants that give a disagreeable odor repelling to dogs
won't work in a Minnesota environment for much of the year.
Try something thorny or prickly. If the client wants a true permaculture
design offer various degrees of pet deterrrents from hedges to fences with
vines. Try rugosa hedge roses, nettles, and junipers that also yield
berries.Look for varying heights and patterns of the roses and junipers.Plant
as a hedge with a multilayered pattern so that there will be various layers
to the pet barrier and lastly put a fence behind it all as the final
deterrent.The client needs to articulate their design requirements as regards
the dogs so that you can make the adjustments to the design that can allow
for the pets to have some space and the plantings to be protected.
In regards to another post about the composting of the dog waste:forget
about the "biodegradeable plastic bags. T'aint no such thing no how. Every
link to manufacturers of these types of bags that I have followed all the way
back to the corporate site detail the production process and always include
polyethylene in the molecular structure of the resin plastic base of the
finished product. When it breaks down the starch molecules from corn,
soybeans, switchgrass, or whatever the miracle plant of the moment is always
leaves behind the bits of polyethylene plastic that bound it all together. At
the cellular/nano molecular level this very small near invisible to the
discerning human eye can still wreak havoc in natural systems. Put the
doggie-doo in a paper lunch bag and compost it with lots of gree and dry
matter and then use the end result as a tree fertilizer. No plastic in and no
plastic in the result.
Also by way of experimentation I last year brought home 3 plastic
biodegradeable drink cups from the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair in mid June.
I received my PDC certificate at their site in May 2008.We had been assured
by their staff that the plastics would degrade but after looking at their
compost heaps and seeing the same cups in there from a year eaelier and
knowing that the fair is the only event that could have generated the waste
we decided to do a few tests of our own. One cup was crushed. Another was
torn into strips, and a third left intact. All were added to a large compost
heap with plenty of organic matter. The heap was activated weekly with human
urine.
This spring we had a beautiful 3 cubic yards of compost and the
following: I crushed plastic cup, 1 torn into strips plastic cup, and 1 whole
plastic cup. If they can biodegrade it may not be in my lifetime and I do not
feel like waiting those hundreds of years for it to happen. Like mom used to
say "Garbage in. Garbage out." Follow the links back to the plastics
manufacturers and what you'll find is a whole lotta bull backed by 14th
Amendment "people" such as Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, Dow, and
Monsanto.When you get to the process links and read the chemistry there it
will be:petrochemical plastics. Bryce Ruddock

"... To climb these coming crests
one word to you and your children:
stay together
learn the flowers