permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Slowing potato sprouting?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Slowing potato sprouting?
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 22:07:28 -0500

Hi Shivana,

I've been growing potatoes for about 30 years. Even now I have a perfect place to store them and they come out of the winter not shriveled at all, BUT they are sprouting by late Feb or March. I rub the sprouts offperiodically and the potatoes will still be edible by June. (Old timers made it a practice to rub sprouts of stored potatoes.) Potatoes are just ready to sprout in the spring. My suggestion would be to try some other varieties that are long season and good keepers. I am trying a short season one this year. It should be ready to dig in August, so we can eat those while we are waiting for the longer season ones to mature. If you have good keepers, they should be fine until the cold storage is actually cold enough. The potatoes usually go thru a rest period. I have trouble getting them to sprout in the garden in the early summer if I want to try a fall crop.

My thoughts.....Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

----- Original Message ----- From: <SArjuna@aol.com>