permaculture - [permaculture] Fw: Treeplanting, mini-swales, and gardening this weekend - Workshops at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fw: Treeplanting, mini-swales, and gardening this weekend - Workshops at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 4/15/09, Alice <alicelo03 at gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Treeplanting, mini-swales, and gardening this weekend - Workshops at
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch
To: permaculture-61@meetup.com
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 2:56 PM

Workshops in organic gardening and edible forest garden plantings with
permaculture techniques continue at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch this weekend
through October. Our tree orders are arriving, so get in on the action!
Please help us spread the word and forward appropriately. Thanks, Alice.

RECONNECTION AND REVIVAL: Hands-on Organic Gardening, Edible Landscaping
Workshopsat Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch with Michael Judd and Green Phoenix
Permaculture

April 18-19 / 12:30-4 pm. (Join us for one or both days!)  Plant bare root
fruit, nut trees and bush fruits! Learn how to care for bare root trees
before and after planting, and how to select complementary functional plants
that will support their health and vitality. This is the beginning of the
ashram’s edible forest garden! Also, help direct seed the organic annual
garden and learn about simple techniques and tools for minimizing erosion,
and harvesting and storing rain water in the landscape.

DAILY SCHEDULE of EVENTS: Permaculture workshop takes place between 12:30 and
4 pm. Day visitors, please arrive by 12:30. Multi-day participants attend at
least one yoga class (8 am or 4 pm) and satsang (6 am or 7:30 pm) daily.

WHERE: Sivananda Yoga Ashram Ranch in Woodbourne,
NY is located on 77 acres of hilly woodland in
the Catskill Mountains, 100 miles from New
York City. Shortline Buses run between Woodbourne and NYC regularly.
http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/. For more
info and driving directions: http://www.sivananda.org/ranch/getting_here.html

WORKSHOP
FEES and ACCOMMODATIONS
Day Visitors: $40 per day. Please arrive at the ashram by 12:30 pm on Saturday
or Sunday. Day visitors enjoy a delicious and healthful vegetarian brunch
or dinner for $12. Full
weekend: $180 - $240, sliding scale. Includes overnight accommodations Friday
and
Saturday night, two delicious organic vegetarian meals daily, asana classes,
satsang, and access to a wood-burning Russian-style sauna.
Weekday workshops can be
arranged for groups of 3 or more. Please email michael at projectbonafide.com

REGISTER: Call Sivananda Yoga Ranch at (845) 436 6492
or email at YogaRanch at sivananda.org Your reservation is secured with a
non-refundable
deposit of $35.ABOUT THE SERIES
Join us for a series of hands-on gardening, edible-landscaping and yoga
immersion workshops! Help create regenerative ecological systems that move
the ashram toward greater food abundance and self-reliance AND cultivate your
'inner landscape' by connecting mind, body, and spirit through yoga and
meditation. All levels of gardening, permaculture and yoga practitioners are
welcome!

Each workshop will feature a site tour and hands-on participation and
instruction in some of the following: annual organic garden expansion and
diversification, soil care with sheet mulching, composting, vermicomposting
and aerobic compost teas; orchard and berry patch revival, food forest
preparation, silvo-pastoral plantings, harvest, preservation and seed saving,
low-tech surface swale design, earthbag construction and mushroom
inoculations. The activities for a given weekend may vary as the needs of the
site evolve. Please see the ashram website for the latest updates:
http://www.sivananda.org/ranch/perma_weekend.html. Participants will also be
guided into a personal practice of yoga and meditation by attending at least
one yoga asana class (postures) and satsang (meditation, chanting, and a talk
on philosophy) each day.