permaculture - [permaculture] Energy Storage on a Small Village Scale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Energy Storage on a Small Village Scale
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Hope this doesn't seem off topic, but the storage of energy isn't easily
solved, especially if one tries to do it with out a manufacturing base to go
and purchase parts.

In fact here's a competition addressing the issue:
http://web.mit.edu/ideas/www/challenge.htm

Here are the usual solutions with the downside of each:
-Lead batteries: wear out in 10 years of heavy usage, toxic, large, massive

-Hydrogen: embrittles the containers it is stored in and travels through,
slightly (about 4%) more explosive than natural gas.
-Water reservoirs+turbine: height delta needed between upper reservoir and
lower reservoir, takes up large amount of space.
-Not sure the soil fuel cell is viable to provide sufficient power, say, to a
buzz saw.
-Pyrolysis: requires biomass (deserts can't supply this), some toxic by
products and destroys a lot of biomass useful to the land and soil.
-Compressed Air (needs a lot of infrastructure in airtight pipe and valves)
-One person told me wood was probably the best natural storage device of
energy.

Anyways, I'd like to hear all of your ideas (promise I won't use 'em in the
competition, but I'll probably use 'em at Factor E Farm.

Hope you all had good weekend!