permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Microorganism tests]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Microorganism tests]
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:53:08 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Microorganism tests
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:43:22 -0400
From: Elaine Ingham <soilfoodweb@AOL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Soil samples can be taken at any time - but what you will learn is about the organisms in that soil, at that time, and possibly, that is not what you want to know.?

Frozen soils still contain microorganisms - but typically only?the cold-loving bacteria and fungi will be active in frozen soil.? Typically, organisms require free water (not frozen) in order to function, so cold-loving bacteria and fungi will only be active (performing a function) when there is some unfrozen water around.?

So, even in your freezer, there may be bacteria and fungi growing, albeit,
hopefully, at very slow rates.?

Take a soil sample from a frozen block of soil, and the cold-loving bacteria?
and fungi may be what you find out about.?
Take a soil sample when the soil thaws, and you learn about those bacteria, fungi, protozoa, nematodes, microarthropods, etc that prefer those temperatures in order to reproduce.? Of course, food, shelter (structure of the soil) and water have to be present as well.? All these factors, along with the mineral content and organic matter of the soil?help select for which species will grow.? there may be hundreds of thousands of individuals of bacteria and fungi, protozoa and nematodes present, but most of them will be?dormant?because the conditions are not the right ones for them to grow.

Perhaps the questions that was really being asked was:

When should I take a soil sample to learn about whether the organisms are in the right balances to build soil structure, to protect the roots of my plants, to retain nutrients in the soil and prevent leaching losses, and then to cycle nutrients into plant available forms, mostly just in the root system??

Those samples should be taken about a month before planting.? If weather doesn't allow a month of warmed soil before planting then the sample should be taken the previous fall.? the point is to learn if something needs to be done to improve the sets of organisms, or to change the balances of the organisms, to select for a condition that would help the plants you want to grow.

Much of what Soil Foodweb Inc. has done in the last 20 years is to discover what the balances of these organisms are, and why those balances work to select for the growth of particular plants as compared to others.? We work with growers to help them achieve these balances, so they can stop using materials that kill things. In every case where people have gotten the organisms balanced correctly for the plant they want to grow, all the benefits of the soil food web have been realized.? If the balances haven't been achieved, if people aren't willing to make sure they've gotten the soil right, then few if any of the benefits are realized.? Testing is necessary.? Sampling at the?times most appropriate for assessing whether the biology is going to be right for the chosen plant is important.?

I do have little bone to pick with a few organic growers that use toxic chemicals in their growing system.? Correct me if I'm wrong, but?the organic approach?should promote healthy plant growth and?not promote?destructive toxic chemical use.? Use of toxic chemicals to maintain high production levels is?not the goal of organic growers.?

Copper and sulfur sprays are pesticides.? They are used for the same reasons that?petroleum based pesticides are used.? Organic growers that have to use these toxic materials to kill pests, diseases or weeds have not achieved what is meant by?"organic".? In harmony with the natural system means not destroying?the land in order to achieve the goal of food production.? Maintaining the sets of beneficial organisms in the soil results in no need for the toxic materials that kill disease and pest organisms, along with the beneficial organisms.? Nature manages to control diseases, pests and to maintain excellent fertility;?humans can?learn how natural?systems manage to do this and then apply that knowledge?to food production systems.

Balances of bacteria and fungi and protozoa to nematodes, the types and processing performed by microarthropods, and earthworms, spiders and birds......... they all do things to help your plant grow.??But it is not one-size-fits-all.? Different plants have different needs for different nutrients, at different concentrations through the growing season.? The nutrient cycling system in the soil supplies those nutrients; there is no need to apply inorganic supplements, if the organisms are balanced correctly for the plant you have chosen to grow.?

So, when do you sample the soil?? Depends on what you need to know.? Give us a ring at Soil Foodweb Inc. and we'll try our best to help you determine when the best time to sample is, given the conditions in your growing system.?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Microorganism tests], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/08/2009