permaculture - Re: [permaculture] food forest shade and soil questions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] food forest shade and soil questions
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:23:56 -0400

I agree with all that Rain has to say.? In heavy clay soils I do have one
caveat about the holes you dig for trees. The more you amend the soil the
wider and deeper the hole better be, because you if you dig a small hole
heavily amend it you can create a situation where the roots won't spread and
the tree will act like it is in a pot and the growth will be stunted.?

I have seen with my own eyes the accuracy of the observation that organic
matter takes a long time to penetrate the heavy clay soils.

As for the sun issue. I have one pink lady apple in partial shade that pumps
out an really decent crop of apples for its' relatively small size.

Larry