permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sepp Holzer on his earliest discoveries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sepp Holzer on his earliest discoveries
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:17:51 -0700

I've tried to convey a lot of info at the permies.com forums. And I'm
putting out feelers to see if anybody has any questions that I might
try to convey.

Some of the interesting bits so far:

don't pull poisonous plants: they are the medicinals for animals (i.e.
his critters don't have worms and he uses to wormers)

rural place next to a road: trees and shrubs don't cut it. Use a berm.

Sepp never uses lime even though his soils start off very acidic.

Sepp holzer never buys animal feed. Although he does trade for hay
for his cattle. He can feed pigs all year and I'm still trying to pin
him down on chickens.

Moles and voles are not a problem. Mostly because of how he does not
prune his trees. But also thanks to the pigs.

Design ponds so that they are long and skinny and going with the wind.

Sepp uses no irrigation. This is a long, rich topic. Deep rooted
trees are part of the solution. As is shallow ponds (which leads to
heaps of morning dew).