permaculture - Re: [permaculture] rock dust - is it really necessary?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] rock dust - is it really necessary?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:00:04 -0500

The question is less about whether it's necessary and more about if it's available as a byproduct of ongoing processes whether it could be utilized to advantage and turned from a waste to a resource.

My primary exemplar of the usefulness of rockdusts, besides my 25 year history with it, is Bob Canard, grower for Alice Waters, et. al.

Solubility is of course tied to soil life, but simple tests show that it is used by plants even in relatively lifeless conditions. The addition of *very fine* rockdust minerals to pure lifeless sand will demonstrate its availability to plants by the quality and quantity of root growth clearly visible in contrast to the same plants without. I urge you to put this to the test and see for yourself. Belief is not sufficient.

I've studied Ingham's work fairly thoroughly (and I admire her tremendously) and have not encountered that particular claim ("that all soils on earth have plenty of all necessary nutrients"). It sounds like one of those absolutist statements for which there are usually exceptions. If you can cite the location of that claim and it's accompanying proof, I'd like to read it.

I would further suggest that soil organisms respond quite directly and immediately with the introduction of rock dusts. If life, macro and micro, increases by the use of the material, then the further development of soil life is also thus enhanced, which is to say that the soil biota's capacity to unlock nutrients IS increased. The quality of compost that includes rock dusts is readily observable in side by side growth comparisons and I have OBSERVED it repeatedly. I do not know if Elaine has compared the character or quality of soil life in mineral-enhanced composts. I only have my direct experience. If anyone knows of such microbiological assays I would love to see them.
Keith

Jordan Fink wrote:
i have to ask the question here- is rock dust really necessary for any
permaculture site.

Dr. Elaine Ingham of Soil Food Web is saying that the evidence suggests
that all soils on earth have plenty of all necessary nutrients to grow
healthy food. Many soils, however, don't have a healthy soil food web
which means that all that nutrion is biologically unavailable. The
application of organic fertilizers and rock dusts just adds a little bit
more soluble nutrients but doesn't improve the soil biota's own capacity
to unlock the resourses already available.

A few well-designed applications of compost tea will have better
results, cost far far less and you don't have to justify supporting
dredging and mining.

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."