permaculture - Re: [permaculture] list topics/ beautifully moving video

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] list topics/ beautifully moving video
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:31:58 -0800

I'd also love it if when people post a link, they add a few words of description, instead of "this is really cool" or words to that effect. That might have saved Trudie and others some annoyance. I usually ignore mystery links; life is short, and the internet is deep.

Since it seems we're going to get certain forwarded posts or links in spite of pleas not to, I support Keith's earlier idea that links, but not entire articles on environmental/political/economic nightmares, etc, be posted.

People in Pc are generalists, so almost any topic is bound to be interesting to someone here, wildly OT or not. Like, right now I'd read an article on grouting tile. But just because someone here liked it, it doesn't follow that it belongs here.

My personal criteria for posts (not including, of course, being sucked into meta-discussions like this one!) is to ask, will it help us become better permaculture designers? Thus in general, bad news doesn't make it since I doubt if anyone on this list really will get better at Pc design by hearing yet more horrors of climate change or bank bailouts.

On another Pc list, someone just disregarded a plea to take a tedious 2-person OT dialog off-list with, essentially, "Permaculture is about everything, so I can post whatever I want." I hope you'll agree that besides being rude, that's a deeply flawed view of permaculture.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Keith Johnson wrote:
Trudie,
Sorry if I pushed your sense of limitations for this list but given the behavior of other posters on the list I'm surprised you hadn't spoken up sooner. The general consensus has been to use 'delete'. I happen to know for certain that others on the list were grateful to receive it. There are many other submissions to the list that annoy me, like those of Nicholas Roberts whose submissions are rarely brief, generally numerous and often "off-topic", and despite all that I generally appreciate the guy himself and his underlying intentions. I personally feel that his style is a bit bombastic and overly lengthy but no one else has registered a complaint as yet so it seems that folks here are fairly forgiving...which is good. The same concerns have arisen before on this list around political issues. The list master asserts that politics, even sexual politics, are within the purview of permaculture and so I have gone with the flow. I generally learn quickly what to delete and what to read given my own time and patience limitations.
Sincerely,
Keith

Trudie Redding wrote:
Do you think you can find another list for this subject?

Trudie