permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 3 . Flip-flop Flannery is a climate changeopportunist

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ryan Hottle <ry.hottle@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 3 . Flip-flop Flannery is a climate changeopportunist
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:40:59 -0500

Dear Permaculturalists,

I'm a supporter and practitioner of Permaculture and think biochar is among
the most promising solutions to global climate change. I'd like to note
that Clive Hamilton made no mention of any substance or scientific relevance
about the benefits and risks of using biochar as a solution to climate
change.

Biochar is not exclusive in terms of being able to "cure" climate
change--silver bullet solutions don't exist at this point--but it does seem
to offer a promising and multi-faceted approach to producing energy,
improving soils, and sequestering carbon in a single process. "Never do just
one thing" right?

It can be highly decentralized from small scale pyrolysis cookstoves to
community scale combined heat and power carbon negative power plants. It
can be combined with coppicing/pollarding and forest garden systems.

The soil improving qualities are dramatic particularly in areas with
extremely low soil organic carbon (SOM) such as places at risk of
desertification, sub-Saharan Africa, and denuded landscapes in Tropical
landscapes which tend to have highly leached and low nutrient soils.

One of the most widely used illegitimate attacks is that of the "ad hominem
attack" wherein the person promoting a specific idea is attacked instead of
the idea itself; by discrediting or disgracing the person the idea is
necessarily diminished. Of course, this attack is an illogical one. The
idea itself is never really discussed, only the messenger.

If you want to attack messengers, however, Clive Hamilton must also go up
against Dr. James Hansen, Dr. Johannes Lehmann, Dr. Christoph Steiner, Dr.
John Gaunt, and the other hard-nose scientific investigators who have been
doing all the significant work on this topic.

I will be launching a website shortly which documents both the potential
pros and the potential cons of using biochar as a solution to climate
change, improving soils, and generating energy and how it might be
incorporated into a sustainable agricultural systems (read: permaculture).

If any there are any specific concerns, questions, ideas or thoughts
regarding biochar I'd be happy to answer them. I just simply can't let this
illogically argued attack pass without comment.

All the best,
Ryan D. Hottle