permaculture - [permaculture] a Permaculture Law Act

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Nicholas Roberts <nicholas@themediasociety.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • Subject: [permaculture] a Permaculture Law Act
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:59:36 +1100

we need the permaculture movement to be a part of this ecological farming
legislative push

so i dont lose the moment

Darren Doherty is an advocate of Carbon Farming... we can use Geoff Lawtons
water harvesting evangalism, the Natural Sequence Farming of Peter Andrews,
the general permaculture principles of Mollison and Holmgren

a Permaculture Law Act
1. carbon shall be sequestered in the soil and the ecology in perennial
polycultures according to global biomes
2. work within the abrupt global climate change framework and seek to
feedback negatively and positively into Gaia wide causal loops
3. soil and ecology carbon shall be prioritised over all other sequestration
options
4. speculation and derivatives and futures, and all other complex financial
products can never be made from soil and ecology carbon sequestration
5. Mixing Carbon Finance and MOney Finance at a time of global financial
instability willbe avoided by making Soil and Ecology Carbon Finance
products from simple, local, common sense, stable and long term bonds backed
by the State
7. Market making in Corporate Carbon Finance shall have a 50 year ban and
morotorium on ALL Carbon Finance and especially Soil and Ecology Carbon
Finance bonds. i.e no speculation by corporate finance in Carbon and Soil
Carbon bonds and finance
8. Natural ecosystems such as soil and natural ecologies have citizen and
peronal and property rights. Are entitled to protections of peoples and
corporations "fictional persons"
9. Ecology rights have greater validity under natural law, commonn sense,
common law, traditional wisdoms, religious edicts and scientific consensus
than corporate law. People have rights and responsibilities as members of
those ecology rights
10. Machines and other forms of artifical property have less important
rights than ecosystem rights
11. Gaia permaculture seeks to work from Gaia or planet ecology wide
patterns down to local ecology soultions such as sequestration of carbon in
plants and soil

etc etc

http://www.counterpunch.org/jenssen01302009.html

*An Interview with Wes Jackson * *Future Farming *

By ROBERT JENSEN
As everyone scrambles for a solution to the crises in the nation's economy,
Wes Jackson suggests we look to nature's economy for some of the answers.
With everyone focused on a stimulus package in the short term, he counsels
that we pay more attention to the soil over the long haul.

"We live off of what comes out of the soil, not what's in the bank," said
Jackson, president of The Land Institute. "If we squander the ecological
capital of the soil, the capital on paper won't much matter."

Jackson doesn't minimize the threat of the current financial problems but
argues that the new administration should consider a "50-year farm bill,"
which he and the writer/farmer Wendell Berry proposed in a New York Times
op/ed
earlier this month <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/opinion/05berry.html>.

Central to such a bill would be soil. A plan for sustainable agriculture
capable of producing healthful food has to come to solve the twin problems
of soil erosion and contamination, said Jackson, who co-founded the research
center in 1976 after leaving his job as an environmental studies professor
at California State University-Sacramento.

Jackson believes that a key part of the solution is in approaches to growing
food that mimic nature instead of trying to subdue it. While Jackson and his
fellow researchers at The Land Institute continue their work on Natural
Systems Agriculture, he also ponders how to turn the possibilities into
policy. He spoke with me from his office in Salina, Kansas.

--
Nicholas Roberts
[im] skype:niccolor

  • [permaculture] a Permaculture Law Act, Nicholas Roberts, 01/31/2009