permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Resource request re helping SW Indian groups

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Dick Pierce" <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Resource request re helping SW Indian groups
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:46:11 -0600

Shavani, I would be happy to share more with you as your groups, geography,
and specific needs develop. For openers I would recommend contacting Clayton
Brascoupe, Tuscarora, of the Tesuque Pueblo outside of Santa Fe. He has run
the Traditional Native American Farmers Association for the SW for many
years. Their orientation and programs are refered to as American Indian
Permaculture - they were having 1-2 PDC classes per year at a selected
Pueblo - free to American Indians, a fee for others. Scott Pittman and
several of the Santa Fe PC folks have been involved. TNAFA is in place and
working - they always need help and support to expand their efforts.

Please let me know (dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com) more of your specific
plans, tribes, locations. I worked with the American Indian Science &
Engineering Society several years ago - one of my projects was Traditional
Agriculture, in several regions around the country. Many of my contacts are
still alive and several of the projects are flourishing.

Traditional Agriculture is a worthy cause, and a near prefect match with
Permaculture. Thanks for doing what you are doing.

Dick Pierce

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM, <SArjuna@aol.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for materials to share with groups like the Southwest
> Indian
> Foundation, that will show them what can be done in their area so that
> poverty-stricken native Americans can grow food, stay warm/cool, etc.
> The
> donation base of groups helping the Native Americans survive at subsistence
> level is
> going to be evaporating, I'm thinking, and they need to get to work ASAP to
> become way more self-sustaining.
>
> Thanks,
> Shivani in WI
>

> ..

> Google command to search archives:

DickPierceDesigns@gmail.com
SE-NE (summer) & Austin, TX (winter) cell- 512-992-8858

Please check out www.permie.us for courses:
Jan. 10, 17 -Citizen Gardener - Austin
Jan. 15 -Thursdays, through April 16 - PC Course for Homeschoolers
Jan.31/Feb.1- Start of Weekend PC Design Course - Through Mar. 22 - 10 days
mid-April -2-day PC Basics - Boston
late-April -2-day PC Basics - Martha's Vineyard, MA
mid-July -12-day PC Design Course - S-NH
mid- Sept -2-day PC Basics - MV-MA
mid-Sept -12-day PC Design Course - MV-MA

-Dick's PC-Bio. on www.permie.us
-You Tube Dick Pierce for video clips