permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nasturtiums and Brassicas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nasturtiums and Brassicas
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:26:07 -0800 (PST)

Golden,

I hope you get my messages unscrambled.

To sow nasturtiums is one way of attracting the white butterflies away from
the brassicas. I normally have a lot of trouble keeping the white
butterflies and caterpillars off the brassicas. I have only tried sowing
nasturtiums near the brassicas once, but it did seem to be quite effective.
I think that if the nasturtiums and the brassicas are so close to each other
that their leaves touch, the caterpillars might move over to the brassicas
though. Our land is all sloping and the butterflies usually come flying down
the hill. I try to intercept the butterflies by planting the nasturtium a
little above the brassicas.

Dieter Brand
Portugal