permaculture - [permaculture] I second Kathryn...regarding winter-ing of trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "lynnann" <lynnann@newnorth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] I second Kathryn...regarding winter-ing of trees
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:21:05 -0600

heya all...as some of you know...I have a small garden center up here in the
far northern (read: zone 3) reaches of Wisconsin. The tree and shrub (and
perennial for that matter) stock that isn't sold during the short growing
season is wintered over very very successfully using some careful steps.

The trees in pots just stay ing the holes they are in during the growing
season...in their #7 and up pots (we do that so they don't blow over)...Then,
once dormant...the shrubs and gallon perennials are laid down, above
ground...like shingles...meaning...a line of shrubs then the another with the
plant matter covering the pots of the previous line....like thatching.

Once that's done, we cover with ground cloth and then either Spanish grass or
regular straw. We have about 5% mortality and that's usually because some
mousey girdled the main branches, however in the recent past years, we've
used a very nice, safe deterrent and have almost no problem with varmints.

The secret to having a live tree for the holidays is to be sure it's dormant
when you bring it in and then NOT let it come out of dormancy, then...get it
back outside and covered. Yes...much mulch (say that 5 times quickly) to
cover it's feetsys...er...root ball...love and peace...lynnann

For those of you who would like to check out my little corner of 3D carbon
form heaven....her at my Frappr site:
http://www.frappr.com/lynnannspathtonature
>From rapurdy@ahtuttle.com Fri Dec 19 12:55:20 2008
by hrndva-omta03.mail.rr.com with ESMTP id

<20081219175518.WTHG22364.hrndva-omta03.mail.rr.com@royal-desktop.local>
for <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>; Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:55:18 +0000