permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now. - Practical Machinist - applicable to permaculture too.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kathyann <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now. - Practical Machinist - applicable to permaculture too.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:17:55 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170698
> juergenwt
> Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now.
>
> I found this in another forum and found it very interesting since it deals
> with everyday life, not just the technical world.
> I sure hope the new administration has the will and backbone to make the
> change to metric a number one priority.
> Starting with the new school year in 2009 we need a 100% change to metric
> to make sure we will not end up with another
> generation of our children unable to think in metric and having to resort
> to a life of converting from the imperial (US)
> system.
> No 5 or 10 or 15 year plan giving every goofball and inchworm lover a
> chance to nickel and dime this plan to death. We
> already had since the 70's.
> The children will not have a problem at all. The only problem lies with the
> parents, teachers and most of all the
> politicians.
> This is the very first step the Obama administration must take before it
> can start even contemplating a rescue plan for
> our industry.
> Just like we now have to force the US Auto industry to make changes in a
> very short time period, we will have to be very
> firm on our change to metric.
It's exposure. I still sometimes get imprinted yardsticks as promotions.
I can usually find a bank or hardware store with some to donate for
kids. I have been known to face backorders ordering metersticks for kids
for a school project and can't keep them in the classroom because other
teachers raid. Tape measurers with both rules are totally rare even in
teachers catalogs.
Find someone to distribute a folding meterstick (with english on other
side, of course) that teachers can put on their back-to-school lists
called a "ruler with metric markings", companies (permaculture ones
promoting thoughtful layouts of course) can distribute with imprints
like the fabric companies did in the 30s.
Get a hardware chain to put a barrel by the cash register.
Or get any company from overseas to order some from an American company
like
http://www.promotional-items-inc.com/catalog/promotional_yardsticks_walking_sticks.html
(not promoting them, it's just they have an "extra large," and a four
foot, so I know it wouldn't be a machine change. In fact, their walking
stick w both rules and someone's logo would be a great gate sale at a
conference.
It would put it into their product line. Once the die is set and they
join the planet, others will follow in a way no mandate can meet.

Peace,
Kathyann

  • Re: [permaculture] Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now. - Practical Machinist - applicable to permaculture too., Kathyann, 12/17/2008