permaculture - [permaculture] Book Link

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bryce Ruddock" <bruddockjr@wi.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Book Link
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:26:23 -0600

Thanks Keith . That book link does open from your message. Bryce
Ruddock in Wisconsin
"... To climb these coming crests
one word to you and your children:
stay together
learn the flowers
go light"

Gary Snyder {from For The Children}
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:06:57 -0500
From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [permaculture] Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now. -
Practical Machinist - applicable to permaculture too.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t0698
juergenwt
Why we must go metric - cold turkey - now.

I found this in another forum and found it very interesting since it deals
with everyday life, not just the technical world.
I sure hope the new administration has the will and backbone to make the
change to metric a number one priority.
Starting with the new school year in 2009 we need a 100% change to metric to
make sure we will not end up with another
generation of our children unable to think in metric and having to resort to
a life of converting from the imperial (US)
system.
No 5 or 10 or 15 year plan giving every goofball and inchworm lover a chance
to nickel and dime this plan to death. We
already had since the 70's.
The children will not have a problem at all. The only problem lies with the
parents, teachers and most of all the
politicians.
This is the very first step the Obama administration must take before it can
start even contemplating a rescue plan for
our industry.
Just like we now have to force the US Auto industry to make changes in a very
short time period, we will have to be very
firm on our change to metric.
We are all changing our TV from analog to digital on one day. Who would have
thought this would be possible?There where
many attempts to drag it out for many more years.
By now just about everybody is familiar with the metric system and as the
cheers proved when NASA recently announced it
would be all metric - I would think we would all be relieved by a decision of
our government to
join the rest of the world in going metric. Our recovery needs this change
now - more than ever. No more dumbing down of
the American public as is the case at present when the media takes all
scientific data and converts it from metric to
inches, gallons and pounds. Our industry deserves a system that makes it
competitive with the rest of the world.
Note to all that say:" We know OUR system and we know little about the metric
system" - You don't know OUR system - make
a test, but you know more about the metric system than you think you
know.(Money, Electric, Photo, Computers, Medicine
and of course everyday math)

This makes for some very interesting reading:
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.js...17&nav=Explore

  • [permaculture] Book Link, Bryce Ruddock, 12/13/2008