permaculture - Re: [permaculture] GIS Revisited with permaculture, homesteading and market farming/gardening uses in mind.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kathyann <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] GIS Revisited with permaculture, homesteading and market farming/gardening uses in mind.
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:40:59 -0500

LF London wrote:
> What kind of GPS would you need to be able to port collected data into
> software on a laptop?
> Is Cybertracker plug and play with a GPS as a laptop peripheral, i.e. it
> recognizes different brands and
> uses the appropriate interface?
>
> Is there a "record" feature with a GPS or do you need GIS hardware to do
> this?

I've only used it with old equipment. Separate GPS and Palms. The newer
units read position and record within themselves. We had one GPS and
multiple palms so one had to input GPS reading and select sighting.

http://www.cybertracker.org/

GIS is programming on the computer the recorded data comes back to. Our
Fish & Wildlife and Extension Services offer free training and access to
their maps. Maybe others do too.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/landscape_train.htm
and share data on runoff, etc.
https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/index.jsp