permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bioswales, Open Space, Recreation - all in one place?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bioswales, Open Space, Recreation - all in one place?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:24:10 -0600

Lawrence & David,

I'm flattered, but know that I know little. A bioswale can contain decomposing and living material to remediate several kinds of toxins. The biodegradation system needs to be designed with regard to flow rates, flow volumes, ambient temperatures and potential toxins involved. As with all systems, the prevailing conditions dictate the path to solving the problem issues. Some toxins are best remediated by bacteria, some by slime molds and some by fungi. I have also observed that some systems that adsorb toxins on hard surfaces, such as rocks, degrade those toxins very rapidly and efficiently by biodegrading organisms, such as bacteria, in the absence of organic substrates, such as compost. Each system needs a specially designed solution!

Kevin Topek
Permaculture Design LLC
www.permaculturedesign.net
713.206.2400