permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sust Ag standard

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sust Ag standard
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:17:26 -0700 (PDT)

.>..is how some think the same thing would not be
>happening if the NOP had not been created.  It seems to me that in the
>absence of the NOP any large corporation could have created their own
>certifying organization with standards that fit their products and
>marketing plan -- and with a large advertising budget could have very
>well sold the public on how "green" their version of "organic" was, even if
>their "standards" were substandard.

I cannot keep silent on this after seeing corporate FUD (Microsoft
versus Linux, Nuclear power vs any renewable, etc.) being inserted into
blogs, mailing list or any other public forum platform.

Some welling meaning people whose life's work is authentic also get
sucked into believing that, say in the case of Open Source Software,
"open source software is anti-business". How is this related? -read on and
use your mind.

Since a corp branding identifies their products, if it becomes known that
their products are substandard, all the advertising in the world cannot stop
those who wish to knowfrom finding out.

If, on the other hand, a standard is setup by a seemingly official source
(like the USDA  or a say an academic body like the AMA) then it becomes very
hard to tell when that seemingly official third party has become corrupt and
who is corrupting it (Toby's life was saved not by methods created or
sanctioned by the American Medical Association -can any of you tell me why
the information saved his life is considered "superstition" by the AMA and
why the AMA OUTLAWED any OFFICAL means of practicing this information for
YEARS. Can any of you tell me who corrupted such an offical academic body
into acting thus ).

One way to control information that is powerful to all people, is to "bring
it into the mainstream" and then dilute that information to the point where
it is no longer useful.

Offering well meaning people status by issuing them degrees governed by
"official bodies" and thereby A WAY TO MAKE MONEY VIA INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
RIGHTS and to make money from the academic "right to teach" ( a right which
will only be sanctioned by the "official body"), often SUCKERS authentic
people into thinking their financial destiny has arrived and they are now
getting their just due recognition.  ( Financial/status gains made real for
them for a short time but not for the people coming after them).

Those of you already teaching classes, who are already sharing information
are ALREADY DOING WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.  -Nothing more.

Those schools who teach substandard methods will be identified by communities
like this one and others. Large farms that practice substandard methods will
also be exposed by this community and others.

But to give up this governing control  that this community has  to an
"official body" ruled by a select few(please don't tell me any of you have
direct input into the day to day operation of the USDA simply by voicing your
dissent -once this may have been true, but now there is a nice little round
file for your dissent as well as your protest), is to betray future
generations their ability to access power information and the quality of that
information.

YOUR CHILDERN MAY BE OUTLAWED FROM PRACTICING methods that work and that
serve a higher standard than that of an offical body.

Yes, you'll have to work instead of rule worker bee's from your ivory
tower/permaculture power desk - Yes, your back will be strong, your hands
tough and your mind clear -AND IF YOU ARE GOOD, THE COMMUNITY WILL RECOGNIZE
IT AND FINANCIAL COMPENSATE YOUR FOR IT. No, not millions and billions of
dollars, but enough to live and be well -in a sustainable fashion.

For those who don't think this method works, recognize that it does work in
the Open Source software community.

Beware of FUD, beware of propaganda in all it's forms, including those who
strain to be nice, use stilted, official sounding language to hide behind and
try to appear to be friendly to your cause, agreeing on the surface yet
undercutting the essence the spirit and freedom of powerful information.

I've said what needing saying -let the debate rage on.