permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Masanobu Fukuoka passed away Saturday

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Dick Pierce" <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "austin perm" <austinperm@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Masanobu Fukuoka passed away Saturday
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:44:35 -0500

Thoughts on Masanobu Fukuoka's passing to higher realms of wisdom, peace and
glory.......

What a loss and blow to the world and those of us who are trying to help
Nature with her, and us with our own, recovery. But what a legacy
of capability and wisdom assimilated over years and years of knowing one's
place and how to be a humble servant in that and to that place. And the
legacy of millions of readers and devotees on all continents, thanks in good
measure to Bill Mollision who used Fukuoka's wisdom/genius in developing
Permaculture Design (just check the # of references in the Design Manual). A
wonderful example of quiet, capable, wisdom based in the earth and in his
own deep spirituality.

He will be missed, but he will be also also lauded - with higher praise in
every passing year and decade. Much of Western science is eroding itself
away with the acid and the blasting sand of its own arrogance and
self-absorption with good for the few from the labors of the many. The real
truth and the real way, so much espoused and demonstrated by Fukuoka, will
reveal themselves again and be taken up by people of soil and science
and faith. And, Nature will rejoice with them in a new partnership of
place that will yield a bounty sufficient for all living beings and, thus, a
much lesser need to plunder the resources of other peoples and other lands.

As an old saying goes: "we are not dead until we are forgotten." I see no
way, in any day, that Masanobu Fukuoka or his works or his writings will
ever be forgotten. I, as one of millions, will cherish and spread his memory
as far and wide and well as I can for as long as I can. I know that people
we teach will teach others, and others.....so that the flame will grow not
wither. Truth is eternal. He humbly spoke the truth to all that would
listen. In his passing, let us pray and work toward the day when all will
listen.

Respectfully,

Dick Pierce, USA

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au> wrote:

> I just received this sad news this morning....
>
> Remembering a great man: Masanobu Fukuoka
>
> Sadly, natural farming innovator Masanobu Fukuoka passed away yesterday,
> Saturday, August 16, 2008, at his home in Iyo, Ehime Prefecture, Japan of
> old age. He was 95.
>
> Fukuoka authored a number of books including One Straw Revolution: The
> Natural Way of Farming and The Natural Way of farming: The Theory and
> Practice of Green Philosophy, both of which are available in English.
> Fukuoka taught us to observe nature and work with it rather than trying to
> impose our desires on the land. He also popularized the use of seed balls,
> which has been used in agriculture and in re-greening projects.
>
> The father of the permaculture movement, Bill Mollison, spoke very highly
> of
> Mr. Fukuoka and said that, before hearing of Fukuoka's work, he could not
> see a way to produce grains sustainably, and had not thought they could be
> incorporated into permaculture.
>
> Around the world, Fukuoka's work resonated with people and it continues to
> be adopted and applied to different conditions around the world. His work
> and his teachings remain a great inspiration to us and we will miss him.
> http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/search/label/obituary
>

> Personal note:
> I had the wonderful privilege of meeting Fukuoka at IPC2 in the US. Prior
> the convergence he joined us for several days on Whiteby Island where I was
> doing the Urban Design course with Margrit and Declan Kennedy.
> His legacy lives on....
> Regards
> Robyn

> Google command to search archives:

DickPierceDesigns@gmail.com
SE-NE (summer) & Austin, TX cell- 512-992-8858

Please check out www.permie.us for courses:

-Martha's Vineyard, MA Sept. 9-18
-S. 'Dartmouth, MA Sept. 20-21
-Austin, TX (w'ends) Sept.27-Nov.22