permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hi - looking for drum shredder

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, jordan@riseup.net
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hi - looking for drum shredder
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:25:17 -0400

Jordan Fink wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm also trying to track down a drum shredder in all of the following areas:
Portland, OR
Olympia, WA
San Juan County, WA

I think these people may be the only dealers in the USA. Don't know about
Canada.

Market Farm Implement, in Friedens, PA, telephone 814-443-1931
Web site: http://www.marketfarm.com/

Market Farm Implement
257 Fawn Hollow Road
Friedens, Pa. 15541
Phone: (814)-443-1931

They offer a printed catalog by mail. If you request it they will include a
brochure on
Yeomans plow and attachments - this brochure if far from complete but does
include the
plows and points that MFI carries. I got mine in the mail yesterday. This is
an impressive
device and well worth a market farmer or permaculture practitioner investing
in.

From the brochure:
Yeomans Plow Co. NEWSLINE
Big-Y adjustable shank expands the range - with Bridge Lock system
Point News: They Just Got Meatier
BW-4 Batswing Point
BF-B Bull Frog - tip holder
WB-3 Wombat Point

This is my Yeomans unit (pix in URL's below), a cat3 three plow unit mounted on a
single 4" toolbar
manufactured (off the shelf components) by Roll-A-Cone Mfg., Tulia Texas,
very affordably priced.
This is the mounting configuration I would recommend for a 70hp or larger
tractor, two shank for smaller ones
and a one shank cat1 (you might want cat 2 with cat1 adapter bushings for added strenght in the hookup)for a 40hp machine - all mounted on a RollACone 3PH 4" toolbar - they will make any design you need. For a 40hp tractor, a 1-shank Yeomans, you might mount it on a toolbar just like the one in my pix below,
only 3 feet wide, cat 1, with the same top and bottom 4" reinforced square tube steel assembly, top bar for the top 3PH link and the bottom for the Yeomans and the bottom 2 3PH links. You do not really need fancier units with such features as axles and tires for plow depth adjustment and stabilization. If you have $$ to spend this might be desirable but I see this as unnecessary.

My 3 plow unit will bury itself up to the toolbar and regenerate soil to an
amazing degree. Ask Darren about this.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/1972/907063824599259/320/Yeomans-Plow-3.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/1972/907063824599259/1600/Yeomans-Plow-2.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/1972/907063824599259/320/10-03-06_1836.jpg