permaculture - [permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

Your friend is full of nitrogen.  Various trees are notorious for the effect
of their nitrogen-fixing symbionts.  Red alder repair clearcuts in Cascadia.
Elaeagnus species reportedly increase nearby fruit tree output by 10%.  Just
pull up any acacias and smell all the ammonia coming off the roots.

Black locusts are my friends.  I also love silk trees (Albizia julibrissins).
These trees cast light shade that actually increase the productivity of most
food plants in hot climates.

I wish I could get ahold of some Casuarina suitable for California.  These
are planted widely in Hawai'i, New Guinea, and their native Australia, but
for some reason are not common, here.

Plant some trees today!

Rain