permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Boulder man faces $2000 fine/day for guerilla gardenfencing - it will b an interesting outcome consideringBoulder's liberal (but pretty!)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Boulder man faces $2000 fine/day for guerilla gardenfencing - it will b an interesting outcome consideringBoulder's liberal (but pretty!)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 11:33:47 -0400

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/10/boulder-man-faces-20.html

I love the comments below...things like:

"Scott should go Charlton Heston: You can have my tomato cages when you pry them out of my cold dead hands."

Though I do see a potential city lawsuit, I do think the complainer was cowardly. Whatever happened to just talking to people.

On the other hand, I've always felt government was confused in these areas. How can an unshoveled walk or unmowed sidewalk strip be the property owner's responsibility and something like this be the city's?

How can cities plant trash trees like Bradford Pears (and various relatives) which result in crown and branch drop and require owners to clean it up, while actually attempting to enforce "do not plant" lists of certain trees? Many trees on "do not plant" lists are actually natives...but they produce fruit. It is the fruit the city doesn't want to clean up...yet if there was cleanup involved it would be up to the homeowner.. GACK! ...makes my head hurt.