permaculture - Re: [permaculture] beehive in my compost pile

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] beehive in my compost pile
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:57:13 -0500

Paul,

The swarm may be Africanized Honeybees, since they have a habit of nesting in the "ground". Just be careful and don't run a lawnmower next to them. If they become overly aggressive, have a beekeeper either remove or destroy them. Africanized Honeybees can be managed relatively easily and are not as susceptible to CCD as other European and Asian honeybee species. Best of luck!

Kevin Topek