permaculture - [permaculture] Juglone toxicity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Juglone toxicity
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:09:15 -0500

Hi All,

I seem to have encountered conflicting data and wondered if anyone out there
had any experience, one way or the other, with this. In Edible Forest
Gardens, in the list of plants negatively affected by juglones, on page 555,
Castanea spp. are listed (chestnuts).

Yet, on another website:
http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingplants/why/2002/walnutguide.html ,
Castanea spp. are listed as "tolerant" of black walnut toxicity.

So, does anyone have any real experience with both trees together. I have
several chestnut seedlings and want to plant them in my yard, which is full
of mature black walnuts. But I definitely don't want to lose the
chestnuts...or retard their growth.

Please, share your experiences, if you have them. Thanks!

Lisa, in the Mo Ozarks, USA