permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The March of Kudzu.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The March of Kudzu.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:59:40 -0400

I too am in NC. The three inch stalks were on centennial campus in
Raleigh. They were common, but not typical. They didn't seem to live long
once they got that big. The internal texture was different- much more
woody.

As far as my idea about "giving a tree another year of life" - kudzu can
indeed grow a foot per day, but it takes a while to gain a "foothold" on a
tree, and a tree is forty or fifty feet tall. Trees survive (barely) until
they are covered completely. The fall frost makes kudzu pause, also.

Give me a shout (off list) if you are in the Raleigh area!