permaculture - [permaculture] Bastrop Texas Producers Market

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Bastrop Texas Producers Market
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:16:19 -0500

For those of you working to make a living from your land in Central Texas... here is an excellent method for selling your produce. Hopefully, this market will also be an inspiration for other communities.

From Jacque Gates:

This is to tell you about a unique local farmers market opening May 14, 2008 just west of Bastrop, Texas. Bastrop Producers Market, Inc. is an indoor farmers market where one person sells for many producers. It allows producers to sell at fair farmers market retail prices without sacrificing time to be at market, and without resellers. BPM, Inc. offers more consumers a better opportunity to buy local sustainable and organic products, and to become better educated about these products.

Open 5 days a week, (Wed-Fri. 11:00am-7:00pm, Sat/Sun 1-6pm) the market is located between FM20 and SH21, on the south side of IH71. It has been a green building project, using SIPs construction. Because it is open retail hours in an indoor setting, it will be easy to have educational displays. Because it opens on Tuesday afternoon for producers only to come and set up their bins, farmers have a chance to get together to visit without customers around.

Bastrop Producers Market, Inc. was created to give the serious small producers the boost they need to survive and expand by giving them their time back. At the same time, producers will have input into BPM, Inc. because I can’t do this without you. Primarily, we are looking for sustainable and organic producers that are within 150 miles of Bastrop, Texas. Secondarily, Texas producers that are not competition for local farmers, such as sustainable and organic citrus from the Valley. The more variety we can give the customer, the more customers will come.

BPM Inc. understands that a balance of vendors in market is important and will strive to maintain a balance that benefits everyone. BPM, Inc. is also aware of the problem with resellers in a grower’s market, and is sincere in the goal of making and keeping BPM, Inc. a growers only market.

My husband and I have invested our own savings to buy the land, and to build and run the market. To state it clearly: We care, because our future and money are invested locally. This is a win-win deal: we can help the environment and each other. BPM, Inc. intends to set a high standard that, with local producer's help, we will achieve and maintain.

So, come and be part of a new kind of farmers market. Bastrop Producers Market, Inc. will have a producers meeting on April 21st (this Monday) at 5:00pm at 977 Hwy 71W so you can check out the site and ask questions.