permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hops and beer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Brooks Miller <brooks.devin@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hops and beer
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:39:32 -0400

I have references that creeping charlie was used in England before hops were.
If anyone tries it, I would be interested in how it turns out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_Charlie

Glechoma was also widely used by the Saxons in brewing beer as flavoring,
clarification, and preservative, before the introduction of hops for these
purposes; thus the brewing-related names, Alehoof, Tunhoof, and
Gill-over-the-ground.