permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Korean nut pines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Korean nut pines
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:15:36 -0400

Some years ago the Society of Ontario Nut Growers reported that its
members had had great difficulty in growing Siberian nut pines in
southern Ontario due to the specialized root fungus required, but that
growing Korean nut pines seemed to be practical. I have seen a reference
to acidifying soil for Korean nut pines.

Of the following list,you will note that the nursery with the largest collection and the greatest degree of specialization in nut pines offers a range of fungus inoculants.

See
http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/nut_pines.htm

http://www.nuttrees.com/edible.htm

http://www.oikostreecrops.com

http://www.burntridgenursery.com
(this nursery seems to be more optimistic about soil requirements than
some others, which I find does not inspire confidence)

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

SArjuna@aol.com wrote:
Korean nut pines make a lot of great nuts ...in Korea. But it seems that without the right soil fungi they don't do well in the USA.
Is anyone you know of growing them in the US and seeing them grow well, or actually getting nuts?
Shivani in WI