permaculture - Re: [permaculture] King Corn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] King Corn
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:38:10 -0500

I have found that less is more in documentaries. It is really hard to
document a situation and not force your view of the situation on the
audience. Wait awhile, you will see that the info in King Korn kicks in
gradually, as you read other books about water conservation or farming
or the Civil War. The biography of John Todd,life on the plains, the
emotional reasons people moved there. I'm trying to get through the book
Ogallala (underground shrinking water reserves under Kansas Texas,
Colorado, I forget where else)
I have found that I gradually started reading the food ingredient
labels. Also the new biodegradable cartons are made out of some part of
the corn harvest. I have a biodegradable spoon that I have been washing
and reusing for 6 months and it is as strong and non-porous as ever, I
wonder what temp it has to get to before it biodegrades?
My point is, everything connects. In order to be informed, parts of many
documentaries, filter through your mind along with other modes of
education and you get an ah ha! Moment
The most sickening thing to me was the way they both ate junk food all
the way through the film. But think back to comfort food, this is
comfort food for people in that age group who live in cities with fast
food restaurants. What a hard habit that is to break. Even showing their
food habits is documenting.
Trudie