permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ethanol production - higher egg prices - may be a link

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ethanol production - higher egg prices - may be a link
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:42:34 -0500

This is just part of the disinformation campaign being run by Big Oil
against biofuels. No animal feed is lost in the making of ethanol -- it
is, in fact, made into a higher quality feed. Animals gain more weight
and gain it faster, on the spent mash. Cows give more milk, etc. And
last I looked, soybeans were not the food of choice for chickens.
So the whole concept that food prices are going up because of
ethanol is a flat-out lie. Food prices are going up because fertilizer,
pesticide, tractor fuel, and transportation costs are going up -- all
due to the rise in oil and natural gas prices. Seed costs are also going
up.
If anything, grain being used for ethanol production before being fed
to animals should lower food prices, not raise them.