permaculture - [permaculture] questioning Douglas-fir thinning

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] questioning Douglas-fir thinning
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

Permaculturists on the West Coast, and probably elsewhere, often recommend
thinning young Douglas-fir forests which have dense growth due to
clear-cutting and fire-suppression. Thinning the forests out reduces fire
danger, speeds up succession, improves the growth and characteristics of the
remaining trees, reduces disease, and provides extremely useful building
materials and fuel. This is how I got the poles for my home. However,
thinning also destroys habitat for certain species.

Long-eared owls, barn owls, and probably dusky grouse and other species,
need dense forest for roosting and breeding. This complicates our desire to
thin out these areas for fire prevention and speeding up succession and
demonstrates how difficult wise land management can be. In a wild ecosystem,
dense new growth would be part of the forest patches in the forest mosaic,
occurring after fire or other disturbances. I would recommend leaving some
significant patches of dense forest where they do not pose a fire risk to
nearby homes. It is important to not get puritanical around any practice and
to always leave some areas totally undisturbed.

Rain