permaculture - [permaculture] air-car [Fwd: Re: [Gasification] Off topic but very cool!]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] air-car [Fwd: Re: [Gasification] Off topic but very cool!]
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:55:04 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Gasification] Off topic but very cool!
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:43:10 -0600
From: Bob Stuart <bobstuart@sasktel.net>
To: Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification
<gasification@listserv.repp.org>

On 13-Feb-08, at 7:12 PM, Bill Klein wrote:

> Bob, is it really a fraud? I only came upon it today, on BBC. I
> have come to put some confidence in that organization and hate to
> think I was duped.
>
> On the positive side, I am not an investor.
>
> Bob, will you share your findings? Offline if you wish. Your choice.

From the website:
"Mr Negre says there's no issue with safety - if the air-car crashes
the air tanks won't shatter - they will split with a very loud bang.
'The biggest risk is to the ears.'"

Unlike hydrogen, air does not have to mix with air to release all its
potential energy. SCUBA tanks are more closely regulated than
aircraft parts to maintain safety. When someone dropped an oxygen
cylinder off a truck at my high school, it wrecked three (unoccupied)
classrooms just as a rocket. The prospect of traffic jam or parking
lot full of cars powered by high explosive boggles the mind.

Some years ago, a road test found the range to be one fifth of what
was claimed, about what a casual calculation predicted. I too was
startled to see Tata associated with the Air Car, but their chief
researcher was backpedalling furiously about getting it sorted out by
any particular date.

Best,
Bob