permaculture - Re: [permaculture] aerial geometry: 5 circular communities from the sky

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] aerial geometry: 5 circular communities from the sky
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:34:16 -0500

Dieter, I submit to you an approximate quotation from memory, from some eighteenth-century British writer (I suspect Samuel Johnson but I'm not sure) that I've become fond of:

"In the present constitution of the human mind, to be engaged in opposing wrong affords but small likelihood of being in the right."

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Green Party member 1984 to date

Dieter Brand wrote:

It is difficult to give all that context in a short email without exhausting people’s attention. That may be why my comments, taken out of context, raised a bit of a passion. So let me spell it out to avoid misunderstandings: I’m NOT a “conservative”, never have been, never will be. I’m NOT defending the ills of present day consumerism or corporate culture (the political left in Europe has internalized the critique of consumerism for at least 40 years, and what is new about “peak oil“ is that present
day reserves are calculated to be far superior to those estimated
by the Club of Rome nearly 30 years ago). I have always been critical of the establishment, but that doesn’t mean I have to buy wholesale into alternative ideologies. If I can point out the problems of present day society, why should I have to keep numb about a very obvious one-sidedness of many of the alternatives presented?