permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Better Woodstove Heat Distribution

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ossi Kakko" <ossi@kulma.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Better Woodstove Heat Distribution
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:19:19 +0200 (EET)

Hi -

I've been documenting some of these issues in Finland and a man called Leo
Järvenpää constructed his single floor house with wood burning fireplace
distributing heat more uniformly into bedrooms through 7 cm tall holes in
top of the wall, near ceiling - from which the warm air can penetrate into
the bedrooms and as it gets cooler there it can circulate back to main
room from 5 cm empty space below the bedroom doors - to be heated up again
by the fireplace. Leo, who built that house (it's straw and
clay-insulated) said that only during the most freezing winter days he
needs additional heating in the bedrooms (and with that he meant -20
celsius degrees or something).

You can see that at: http://kulma.net/ossi if you wish - it will be
removed soon, but I have more than 4 edited hours of such stuff under work
now and plan to publish that as a videodatabase asap (but currently
without budget), so if you now people with similar projects I would be
happy to contact them as well as I think that would be practical way to
share practices through different climatic conditions.

So that's one suggestion, hope it helps !

Ossi Kakko,
Katajamaki community /
Signs of Life co-operative
Finland