permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Connections?!? The Floating Gardens of Mexico City

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "ethan roland" <eroland@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Connections?!? The Floating Gardens of Mexico City
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:00:46 -0500

Howdy All -

I am about to embark on a trip to Mexico, and am extremely interested in
visiting the famed 'floating gardens' that are remnants of the incredible
chinampa system the fed the peoples of Xochimilco.

I understand that the canals still exist as a tourist attraction, but I
would like to go deeper and get in touch with folks who are actually still
cultivating the chinampas as agricultural land/water.

Does anyone out there have any connections to permies, farmers, or activists
in Mexico and Mexico City in particular that might lead to some deeper
contact with the chinampas and chinampañeros? I will happily document and
share whatever I find along the way.

Cheers,
Ethan

--
Ethan C. Roland
(518) 610-1375

AppleSeed Permaculture
Design - Teach - Research
www.appleseedpermaculture.com

Gaia University
Degrees of Freedom
www.gaiauniversity.org

Permaculture Across Borders: International Regenerative Development
www.permacultureacrossborders.com

Northeastern Permaculture Wiki
www.northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com

" You can count the number of seeds in an apple, but you can't count the
number of apples in a seed" - proverb via Paul Krafel