permaculture - Re: [permaculture] prevailing winds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <kd.johnson@insightbb.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] prevailing winds
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:15:10 -0500

Tom,
Have you contacted the nearest airports? They can usually provide you with wind roses which are simple images showing the prevailing winds and their velocity over the course of a year month by month. We've done many designs in various regions and had no trouble getting this data from the airports.

Here, for example, is one for Syracuse, NY. <http://www.epa.gov/ttn/naaqs/ozone/areas/windr/14771.gif>

and another for JFK airport in NYC <http://www.epa.gov/ttn/naaqs/ozone/areas/windr/94789.gif>

These are a little different from the ones I am used to in that they only cover a seven month period but with 16 indicators over that time. The usual is for a whole year and 12 indicators, i.e. one / month.

Search for wind roses NY

http://home.pes.com/windroses/

More about wind roses at

http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wres/rose.htm

KJ

OK, this may seem dumb, and maybe I'm just not entering the right search terms.... can anyone point me to a source for a map of prevailing wind patterns (particularly upstate NY)? Seems they've got to be out there on the internet somewhere, but darned if I can find one (that works or shows anything, that is....)
Thanks

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild
http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/
and: http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/