permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Periodic posting of list information and suggested usage guidelines.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Periodic posting of list information and suggested usage guidelines.
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:10:24 -0800

Excellent! Lawrence

I think there would be few unwilling to accept these GUIDELINES -thanks for posting -and thanks for hanging in there -most recently and- all these years... I would like to take the opportunity to thank the rest of you on this list for hangin' in there too. It takes a village an' all that...

I would also like to take this opportunity to interject another set of useful guidelines:

I have come to the point where I think that the way to understand/solve more and more issues is by using plain ol' reason and logic.

Maybe we could also agree to try to use logic and watch for fallacies in presenting and especially in trying to rebut an issue... I have incorporated this information and discussion into our Permaculture Design Courses as patterns of communication. Please review some of the handouts developed by the University of North Carolina below.

Larry Santoyo
<http://www.earthflow.com>www.earthflow.com

See-
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html
Constructing a Logical Argument
The Concise Oxford English Dictionary defines logic as "the science of reasoning, proof, thinking, or inference." Logic will let you analyze an argument or a piece of reasoning, and work out whether it is likely to be correct or not. You don't need to know logic to argue, of course; but if you know even a little, you'll find it easier to spot invalid arguments.

See-

http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/fallacies.html
What are fallacies?
Fallacies are defects that weaken arguments. By learning to look for them in your own and others' writing, you can strengthen your ability to evaluate the arguments you make, read, and hear. It is important to realize two things about fallacies: First, fallacious arguments are very, very common and can be quite persuasive, at least to the causal reader or listener. You can find dozens of examples of fallacious reasoning in newspapers, advertisements, and other sources. Second, it is sometimes hard to evaluate whether an argument is fallacious. An argument might be very weak, somewhat weak, somewhat strong, or very strong. An argument that has several stages or parts might have some strong sections and some weak ones. The goal of this handout, then, is not to teach you how to label arguments as fallacious or fallacy-free, but to help you look critically at your own arguments and move them away from the "weak" and toward the "strong" end of the continuum.

About: permaculture English (USA)

Permaculture mailing list, hosted by ibiblio.org -
-- portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers --
This forum is dedicated to those interested in the study,
practice and teaching of permaculture, a discipline
started and stewarded by Bill Mollison & David Holmgren
plus hundreds more with varying expertise around the
world. Wikipedia permaculture entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture
"Permaculture is a design system which aims to create sustainable
human habitats by following nature's patterns."

SUGGESTED USAGE GUIDELINES:

1) Be respectful of others... there is an actual human being on the other end of those words you're reading.

2) Be enthusiastic, after all, most are here because they really do enjoy permaculture.

3) Avoid the usual.... politics and religion... as much as practical.

4) Be engaging.... Post, post, post... Offer input when you can and recognize when you can't.

5) Start a new thread instead of hijacking one that offends you.

6) Have fun! Permaculture IS fun, interesting, useful and enlightening.
The wonderful people here make even more enjoyable.

SAVE THIS INFORMATION
For Future Reference